Young, Kathryne M. 2018. How to Be Sort of Happy in Law School. Stanford University Press.
Young, Kathryne M. 2017. "Masculine Undercompensation and Masculine Balance: Notes on the Hawaiian Cockfight." Social Forces 95(4): 1341–70.
Young, Kathryne M. 2016. "Parole Hearings and Victims' Rights: Implementation, Ambiguity, and Reform." Connecticut Law Review 49: 431–498.
Young, Kathryne M. 2016. "Criminal Behavior as An Expression of Identity and a Form of Resistance: The Sociolegal Significance of the Hawaiian Cockfight." California Law Review 104: 1159–1206.
Young, Kathryne M. and Joan Petersilia. 2016. "Keeping Track: Surveillance, Control, and the Expansion of the Carceral State." 129 Harvard Law Review 129: 1318–1360.
- Cited in Utah v. Strieff, 579 U.S. ___ (2016) (Sotomayor, J., dissenting)
Young, Kathryne M., Debbie A. Mukamal, and Thomas Favre-Bulle. 2016. "Predicting Parole Grants: An Analysis of Suitability Hearings for California's Lifer Inmates." Federal Sentencing Reporter 28: 268–277.
Young, Kathryne M. 2014. "Everyone Knows the Game: Legitimacy and Legal Consciousness in the Hawaiian Cockfight." 48 Law & Society Review 48: 499–530.
- Winner of the 2015 Law & Society Association Article Award
- Winner of the 2015 Distinguished Article Award in the Sociology of Law from the American Sociological Association
Young, Kathryne M. and Christin L. Munsch. 2014. "Fact and Fiction in Constitutional Criminal Procedure." South Carolina Law Review 66: 445–490.
Young, Kathryne M. 2011. "Outing Batson: How the Case of Gay and Lesbian Jurors Demonstrates the Need for Voir Dire Reform." Willamette Law Review 48: 243–271.
- Winner of the 2011 Criminal Justice Essay Prize from the American Justice Institute.
- Cited in State v. Saintcalle, 309 P.3d 326 (2013).
Young, Kathryne M. 2009. "Rights Consciousness in Criminal Procedure: A Theoretical and Empirical Inquiry." Sociology of Crime, Law & Deviance 12: 67–95.
- Winner of the 2010 Graduate Student Paper Prize in the Sociology of Law, American Sociological Association.
Young, Kathryne M. 2007. "The Privatization of California Correctional Facilities: A Population-Based Approach." Stanford Law & Policy Review 18: 438–469.